In my last post I talked about Golden Paste. I’ve just made another batch.
- 75 grams / ½ cup turmeric powder
- 250 ml / 1 cup water
- 125 ml / ½ cup water extra, if needed
- 7.5 ml / 1½ tsp ground black pepper
- 70 ml virgin coconut oil or virgin olive oil
- Add turmeric to water in a pan.
- Stir over a gentle heat for 6 to 10 minutes, until you have a thick paste.
- If necessary, adding a little more water.
- Turn off the heat and add the pepper and oil.
- Stir to mix thoroughly and leave to cool.
- Store in a jar in the fridge. I like to use 2 smaller jars which fit on the top shelf of the door.
Makes about 400ml – 828 kcal – so just over 10kcals per tsp.
Typically, we start the day with some Greek style yogurt, mixed with about a tsp of golden paste, and topped with some fresh fruit and crushed toasted hazelnuts.
Or stir in some chopped fruit and nuts with the yogurt and golden paste, then add ‘sprinkle’ (Formule Boost is our current choice, which is dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, almonds and crunchy toasted soya beans).
It’s a lovely breakfast and I always feel as though it is doing me good.
I found the golden paste keeps well in the fridge right through until it is time to make some more.
Having the paste on hand and ready to use, makes it easy to add to both savoury and sweet dishes. Turmeric is not just for curry!