I know it’s only February and the tomatoes and cucumbers will have to come from Spain or Morocco, but with a little bit of sunshine streaming in through the window, I really feel like having something summery.
This goes brilliantly well with meat or fish, or for a vegetarian option falafels would be wonderful.
Greek Salad with Feta and Olives
Making a salad like this always brings me happy memories – of holidays in Cyprus or meals at one of our favourite Greek restaurants in London. Of course it goes wonderfully well with Lemony Lamb Skewers (page 106) or Lemony Tuna Kebabs (page 99). No need to make a complicated dressing for a salad like this – a drizzle of fruity extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon is all you need.
- 1 Little Gem lettuce or romaine heart 15 kcals
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks 23 kcals
- 2 large or 4 medium tomatoes, sliced or halved 52 kcals
- 1/2 onion, sliced 22 kcals
- 50g feta cheese 132 kcals
- 8 black kalamata olives 45 kcals
- 1 tbsp flat leaved parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil 80 kcals
- 2 lemon wedges 4 kcals
Per serving: kcals 186 Carbs 15g Fat 13g Protein 6g
Please note: page references are to 5:2 Healthy Eating for Life – available on Amazon in print or kindle formats.
Back from Morocco with a bag full of foodie ingredients! The light, fresh salads and use of spices was inspiring – and delicious.
Here’s something simple that I made as a side dish for lunch today that was lifted out of the ordinary by some fresh coriander leaf (cilantro), toasted ground cumin seed and a drizzle of argan oil, which has a lovely toasted nutty flavour. If you haven’t got argan oil (which is only produced in South West Morocco), use walnut oil or toasted sesame oil instead.
Despite the fact the hothouse veg from Spain are not as flavourful as they would be in summer, this makes a real impact. It goes really well with cheese or cold meats and would be an excellent partner with some hummus in a lettuce wrap for a fast day snack or starter. You could add some chopped red or green pepper for variation, and also I considered sprinkling with a few sesame seeds or chopped almonds.
Moroccan Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Simple and really tasty salad using two basic ingredients, a herb, some spice and some oil.
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tbsp coriander leaf, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oil (argan, walnut or sesame)
- Mix the vegetables and coriander leaf together and turn into a dish
- Sprinkle with cumin
- Drizzle with oil
- If you can't get argan oil, use walnut oil or toasted sesame oil
Focus on Flavour https://www.focusonflavour.com/