Ok, this is a favourite to buy ready made, but it is easy to make yourself and you get to choose the carrots that go into it, so go for organically grown carrots for bags of flavour.
Carrot and Coriander Soup
Celebrate carrots with this lovely simple soup
Write a review
- 500g carrots, scrubbed or peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1.2 litres stock (home made chicken stock would be great, Marigold bouillon is my standby)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the coriander seeds lightly in a dry frying pan, then grind coarsely in a pestle and mortar (or mini blender).
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions and carrots.
- Cook gently for a few minutes until starting to soften, but not colour.
- Add most of the coriander seeds and mix well, reserving a few for garnish.
- Season with pepper and salt (if your stock isn't already salty).
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Whizz with a stick blender then add most of the coriander leaves.
- Serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves and a sprinkling of seeds.
- On a non-fast day you could add a swirl of crème fraîche when serving.
Focus on Flavour https://www.focusonflavour.com/