I love Mexican flavours – what an excellent excuse to add a good grating of dark chocolate to your food!
I used lean turkey, but you could use soya mince or quorn for a veggie version.
Serve with guacamole (1/2 serving – 43 kcals), low fat fromage frais or yogurt (1/4 pot -14 kcals), a little grated strong flavoured cheese – like Cheddar or Red Leicester (5g – 21 kcals), shredded lettuce , sliced spring onions , tomato salsa (1 tblsp – 5kcals) – and a few taco chips (20g – 100 kcals). Even with a small portion of brown rice (1/4 cup cooked, 54 kcals), this comes in at under 450 calories (as long as you stick to my portion sizes! Chaps can have more, of course). So this works for a Fast Day or any day of healthy eating to support weight loss.
I was lucky to be given a block of Willie’s 100% cocoa Venezuelan Black chocolate by some appreciative guests – a great ingredient and lasts for ages! A little dusting on a dessert is lovely but it is also very good in savoury dishes such as this. Just adds that little something, but hardly any calories.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 175g lean turkey (or soya mince or quorn)
- 1/2 tsp Mexican chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 200g peeled plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained
- 10g grated dark chocolate (100% cocoa if possible)
- 1 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
- If using turkey, chop finely or mince in a food processor.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and gently sauté the onions and garlic until soft and golden.
- Add the turkey or vegetarian alternative and stir-fry until lightly coloured all over.
- Add the spices and mix well.
- Pour in the tomatoes and beans and bring to a simmer.
- Check the seasoning.
- Cook for 15 - 20 minutes, adding a little water if necessary to stop it getting too dry.
- Transfer to a serving dish and grate over the chocolate and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, grated strong cheese, sliced spring onion, tomato salsa, guacamole, low fat fromage frais (or sour cream if you have calories to spare...) and a few taco chips.