This is a very flavourful vegetarian main which is low enough in calories to have on a 5:2 Fast Day or as part of a calorie-counted healthy eating plan :-
Or serve as a side dish with chipolata sausages :-
The calculations for calories came out differently on MyFitnessPal than on my recipe card, below. Either way, no more than 265 kcals for the portions of gratin shown here.
The caraway seeds add a really interesting flavour.
- 500g leeks, cut into chunks
- 150ml vegetable stock or water
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1 tblsp plain flour
- 60g fresh wholewheat breadcrumbs
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 75g grated hard cheese
- 15g chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Put the leeks in a saucepan with the water and seeds.
- Bring to the boil, cover and then simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, until the leeks are softened.
- Remove the leeks with a slotted spoon to a baking dish.
- Pour the remaining liquid into a jug and make up to 300ml with milk.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour to make a roux.
- Gradually add the liquid, beating well after each addition, to make a smooth sauce.
- Simmer the sauce for a couple of minutes, stirring.
- Check the seasoning.
- Pour over the leeks.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden.
- I used oddments of cheese that I had left - a little cheddar, some comté and some crumbled blue sheep's cheese, which gave an interesting mix of flavours.