We ate it with Chicken with Garlic and Saffron (Pollo al Ajillo) and Potatoes with Spicy Tomato Sauce (Patatas Bravas) – about 400 kcals in all for me.
I have reduced the amount of olive oil and raisins used in order to make this a light, low-calorie salad that is suitable to use on a 5:2 Fast Day, or on any day as part of a healthy, balanced diet.
Caraway Seeds contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, essential oils and anti-oxidants with many potential health benefits. They go particularly well with cabbage, as their anti-flatulent properties are particularly helpful.
- 100g white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 medium carrot, cut in fine julienne strips
- 1/2 green pepper, cut in fine julienne strips
- 10g raisins
- 1/2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- Put the shredded vegetables in a serving dish.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
- Sprinkle the caraway seeds over the top.
- I like to use vinegar aromatised with walnuts, vinaigre noix - a fab ingredient that is common here in South West France, it lends a wonderful nutty flavour to salad dressings. Look out for it!
- As a side dish, this would serve 4 (42 kcals each), or as a more subsantial salad, serves 2 (84 kcals each).
- My calculations using myFitnessPal are a little different from the beta version below, I don't really know why.