Just for fun really, I thought I would see what is possible…. what kind of lovely dessert could I create with less than 100 calories?
This is based on Nigel Slater’s Raspberry Cinnamon Meringue recipe on the BBC Good Food website
I used 2 egg whites and only 30g golden sugar, making 4 sticky meringues (I don’t think you can make a crisp meringue with so little sugar). I followed Nigel’s method for making the meringues. Topped with fromage frais and defrosted raspberries and sprinkled with grated chocolate. ONLY 75 calories each!!! Yummy.
or how about this, a recipe I found in Australian Women’s Weekly Healthy Heart cookbook :- Mini Eclairs with Vanilla Cream
Basically a very light choux pastry, filled with low-fat vanilla flavoured yogurt that has been thickened up using gelatine. Dusted with icing sugar. Less than 50 calories each! (You would want to eat at least 2….).
So you really can eat dessert completely guilt-free!
- 5g unsalted butter
- 125ml water
- 50g self-raising flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tblsp icing sugar
- 200g low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tsp light brown sugar
- 2 leaves gelatine
- 2 tsp water
- Heat oven to 180c.
- Put the butter and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the sifted flour all at once and stir vigorously until smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Gradually beat in the egg whites and beat until it holds together.
- Spoon into a piping bag with a plain 1cm nozzle and pipe lengths of about 5cm onto a non-stick baking tray, making 12 in all.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 160c and cook for a further 15 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Allow to cool, then just before serving, cut in half and fill with the vanilla cream.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Put the gelatine leaves to soak in a bowl of cold water.
- Mix the vanilla essence and sugar with the yogurt (or use ready made vanilla yogurt) in a bowl.
- Put 2 teaspoons of boiling water in a small jug and add the drained gelatine, stirring well to dissolve, then pour in to the yogurt.
- Mix well, then refrigerate for an hour or so until set.
- Serve with fresh mixed berries. Unfilled eclairs may be frozen.