I just recently noticed that the fish counter in a local supermarket had smoked haddock. Something of a treat for us here in South West France!
It makes a very satisfying evening meal on a fast day. We started with Simple Vegetable Soup then Smoked Haddock with Poached Egg and wilted Spinach, and finished up with Mocha Fromage Blanc. Total for dinner 385 ~woman or 465 ~man Calories (kcals). Very filling and tasty.
- 100g frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp marigold bouillon powder
- 250ml water
- Put the veg in a saucepan and add the water and bouillon powder.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whizz with a stick blender to desired texture, or leave as a broth with veggie pieces.
- Per serving: 70 Calories (kcals)
- 100g smoked haddock fillet
- 1 egg
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- pinch grated nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the spinach and put into a saucepan with the water that clings to it.
- Season with grated nutmeg and black pepper.
- Cook gently over a low heat until wilted.
- Remove the skin from the fish, if necessary.
- Put enough water to cover the fish into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the fish and cook at a gentle simmer for 3-4 minutes, depending on thickness of the fillet.
- Meanwhile, poach your egg.
- Per serving: 210 Calories (kcals) with 1 egg, 285 Calories (kcals) with 2 eggs
- 100g fromage blanc or fromage frais
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tsp acacia honey
- 1 tsp grated 100% pure chocolate
- Mix the coffee with a little water to dissolve, then add to the fromage blanc.
- Stir in the honey and mix well.
- Spoon into a serving dish and grate over some chocolate.
- I use a solid block of 100% Venezuelan Cocoa, if you can't get that use the highest percentage chocolate you can find.
- Per serving: 105 Calories (kcals)
I hope you enjoy something similar!