It is really quite surprising how successful a crustless quiche is – you really don’t need the pastry. This is also a useful way to use any leftover cooked fish, or you could use smoked salmon, which gives it a wonderful flavour.
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil 20 kcals
- 3 large eggs 225 kcals
- 10 green or white asparagus spears 40 kcals
- 175 ml soya or dairy milk 130 kcals
- 50g Cantal or other well-flavoured hard cheese, grated 193 kcals
- 150g salmon fillet 237 kcals
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 160c (fan).
Snap the asparagus as near to the base as possible and discard the ends.
If using white asparagus, peel off the outer skin with a peeler or sharp knife.
Steam the asparagus spears for 5 – 6 minutes, until just tender.
Drain and leave until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, wrap the fish in baking parchment and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or grill until just cooked. Separate into large flakes. If using smoked salmon, cut into strips.
Brush or spray a little oil on the inside of a quiche dish.
Distribute the salmon over the base of the dish.
Trim the asparagus to fit the radius of the dish and lay evenly around with the points towards the centre.
Use any trimmings to fill the gaps.
Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top.
Break the eggs into a jug, beat well, stir in the milk and season well (you will not really need any salt if using smoked salmon).
Pour over the salmon and asparagus, then garnish with the chopped parsley.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, until lightly golden brown and set in the middle.
Serve hot, warm or cold.
Per serving: kcals 282 Carbs 4g Fat 12g Protein 20g
This is really excellent if served with a good drizzle of Gremolata (page 96).
I’ve served it here with some mashed cauliflower and steamed green beans.
For the Gremolata
- 6 marinaded anchovy fillets, chopped 24 kcals
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped 8 kcals
- 1 tbsp olive oil 120 kcals
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A bunch of parsley leaves, chopped 4 kcals
make the Gremolata by whizzing all the ingredients in a food processor to make a sauce
Per serving: kcals 40
These recipes are taken from 5:2 Healthy Eating for Life