Mushrooms, garlic and Serrano ham turn a simple chicken breast into a very tasty fast day dinner.
I usually aim for about 100g of chicken for me and a larger portion of about 140g for him.
I had thought of adding a light creamy sauce with chives, but it was pouring with rain and I didn’t want to go out into the garden to pick the chives, so I used a little pesto instead.
Wrapping the chicken in ham and then in foil helps to keep it nice and moist during cooking.
- 100g chicken breast
- 2 medium mushrooms, chopped small
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- pinch ground cumin
- 1 tsp chopped coriander leaves
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp pesto
- 1 slice Serrano Ham, trimmed of fat
- 4 asparagus spears
- 1/2 medium carrot
- A few broad beans, podded
- 50g cauliflower florets
- Heat the oven to 180c
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently saute the garlic for a minute or so and then add the mushrooms.
- Stir fry until the mushrooms are just cooked and starting to release their moisture.
- Remove from the heat and season with cumin, coriander leaf and pepper to taste (I don't add any salt, but you might wish to).
- Trim the chicken breast to the required size and remove any fat.
- Cut a diagonal slice into the thickest part of the flesh, without cutting all the way through, to make a pocket.
- Stuff the mushroom filling into the pocket and then wrap the parma ham around the chicken to help hold it together.
- I used a little pesto underneath the ham as additional flavouring, but if you are going to have a sauce with it, you could go without that.
- Wrap in foil, place on a baking tray and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the broad beans and until tender, then drain and peel them, unless they are tiny.
- Boil the cauliflower until tender, steam the asparagus and carrots over the top, then mash the cauliflower (add a little fromage frais or milk powder to enrich it if you like, or butter on a non-fast day).
- Unwrap the chicken and serve. I made a little jus by adding some of the cauliflower water to the residue left in the foil.
- Adjust your chicken portion according to your available calories or appetite! With 140g of chicken, the meal comes to 412 calories.
- You can use Parma Ham or Bayonne Ham instead of Serrano.